The nightmare of waking up to find that all your virtual loot has been stolen is one scenario that I have yet to experience — note that I am not asking for this. I cannot imagine the feeling of characters/ items being ripped off; online possessions that cost a great deal of time to obtain suddenly gone. Account hacking via keyloggers and other nefarious schemes are seemingly quite common in World of Warcraft. We at JohnnyBGamer are all about empowering the people. So here are a few common sense ways to protect yourself:
- Create a separate e-mail account for your World of Warcraft account. Never share this e-mail address nor associated password with anyone.
- Make sure your browser/ PC is updated regularly (auto updates are good).
- Empower your Internet browser to fight back by enabling security features.
- Purchase an official Blizzard Authenticator at the Blizzard Store.
- Download the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator (link will open iTunes) for your iPhone/ iPod Touch (free).