I want to be the very best, like no one ever was. Even though I was 17 when Pokémon Red released, I have always been somewhat of a novice trainer. Following the series evolution across platforms, I have dabbled in different generations. Never completing:
- Pokémon Red
- Pokémon Yellow
- Pokémon Pearl
- Pokémon Platinum
- OR Pokémon Y
Pokémon just isn’t an obsessive thing for me. What does draw me are the solid game mechanics, relaxed world, and creature battling.
Pokémon Y represents the most time I have spent with the series. Clocking in at over 20 hours, I thought I was almost done with the campaign. Nope. A walkthrough confirmed that I am but halfway on my journey. Never going to be number one at that pace. Ash, I’ve failed!
As a dad, Pokémon has taken on a new meaning. It is a series that I can share with Wyatt. A series that encourages reading, fun gameplay, and quality time spent. Nintendo has indeed created a monster.
This year, The Pokémon Company is celebrating Pokémon’s 20th anniversary. The Super Bowl ad above is but the cusp of this tidal wave. Throughout the year, Nintendo and GameStop are offering one rare creature download a month. Take a look:
- Celebi: March 1 – 24 (Nintendo Network)
- Jirachi: April 1 – 24 (Nintendo Network)
- Darkrai: May 1 – 24 (GameStop)
- Manaphy: June 1 – 24 (Nintendo Network)
- Shaymin: July 1 – 24 (Nintendo Network)
- Arceus: August 1 – 24 (GameStop)
- Victini: September 1 – 24 (Nintendo Network)
- Keldeo: October 1 – 24 (Nintendo Network)
- Genesect: November 1 – 24 (GameStop)
- Meloetta: December 1 – 24 (Nintendo Network)
We’ll see if Wyatt and I can keep up with the pocket monster collecting. I’m still waiting for him to be ready for his own handheld console and copy of the game. We just aren’t there yet… but soon.